Should You Replace Your Carpets During Water Damage Restoration?
Before you start pulling up your carpets after your home has suffered from water damage, there are some important things you should consider. Sometimes carpet can be salvaged after water damage (same goes for rugs, upholstered furniture, and other textile goods in your home). So before you give up hope and consider your carpets a total loss, here are some things that can help you determine if you should replace your carpets after water damage.
Water Damage Restoration In Carmel
- How long has the water damage been present? Water damage that has not been cleaned up with 48-72 hours of occurring will foster mold and other microbial growth, meaning most carpet will have to be removed and replaced for health and safety purposes. The longer water damage is left unresolved, the worse the damage is. You should replace carpets if they have been exposed to water damage for more than 2 days.
- How much water was introduced? If there are a few wet spots from water damage, but the carpet is not completely sodden, you can adequately dry it without replacing it. However, if there is standing water covering the carpet in its entirety, and it has soaked all the way through the padding as well, it is not as easy of a fix. Sodden carpet and carpet padding can lead to damage of the subfloor, which is major, so it should be removed and replaced.
- Unsure of the extent of the damage? Start by pulling up the carpet to inspect the padding and subfloor. If the carpet padding looks like it has not been affected, and the subfloor is in good shape, the water damage was probably minor enough that thorough drying, cleaning, and restoration by a trained restoration company may just save your carpets.
- If carpets have been dried, and water has been removed, yet a musty odor is lingering in your carpets, let the restoration company attempt professional odor elimination before you consider the carpets a total loss. Professional services are far more successful at salvaging water damage carpets, upholstery, and other materials than attempts made on your own.
- When you are at a total loss and just do not know what to do, call the water damage restoration professionals at Total Restoration. We can come inspect the water damage, and provide a game plan to restore your home and belongings. We will use all of our training, experience, and equipment to provide the best possible outcome for your carpets, belongings, and home in general. If the water damage is too severe, we can remove and replace carpets, and other damaged areas.
In summary, the best chance homeowners in Carmel have at salvaging their carpets following water damage is to call Total Restoration. Regardless of the size and scope of the damage, we will be able to get your home back to pre-loss condition as quickly as possible. When you find water damage in your home, call Total Restoration right away.