Preventing House Fires in Indianapolis

iStock_000001352001Medium_largeComing home to a house fire in Indianapolis isn’t any ones idea of a good time. A fire can destroy your home or business in a matter of minutes. Everything inside your home can go up in smoke in a blink of an eye. Most fires occur with little to no warning, but they can be prevented if you follow some of these small fire safety prevention tips.

Don’t Use Damaged Power Cords

Always. ALWAYS check your power and extension cords for any damages, worn out ends, exposed or fraying lines. Damaged cords will most likely cause an electric shock and if the cord is worn out, the heat it generate can lead to a fire with direct contact to any flammable material. Avoid dealing with fire damage cleanup by replacing damaged or worn cords.

Turn Off Your Appliances

If you plan on leaving your home for any amount if time, make sure you turn off any electrical appliances. It only takes one malfunction while your away to quickly turn into a disastrous house fire. Some of the only appliances deemed safe to leave on while your Indianapolis home is empty is a crockpot. Crockpots do not generate enough power or heat to be a serious risk.

Clean Out That Dryer Lint Trap

Believe it or not, leaving the link to buildup in your dryer’s lint trap can lead to a house fire. Cleaning lint out of your dryer’s lint trap only takes a few seconds and can greatly reduce the risk of a house fire. You should also consider checking your dryer hose for any lint or debris buildup.

 Don’t Leave Lit Candles Unattended

Many people will light candles in their home for numerous reasons, but it is very important that you don’t forget that you have a candle burning. A single candle can cause major fire damage if it is knocked over or placed too close to flammable material. If you love to light candles in your Indianapolis home make sure you place them in secure holders far away from anything that can catch on fire. Always blow your candles out before leaving the room or your home.

If you fail to follow these simple fire safety tips the risk of a house fire occurring is very real. If your home suffers from a fire contact Total Restoration in Indianapolis now! Our certified technicians are trained in every aspect of fire damage cleanup. We are available 24/7/365.

Contact us

If this is an emergency, please call us at (317) 351-0555 for an immediate response, 24/7.