Being Proactive After A Fire

Fire Damage Indianapolis, Fire Damage Repair Indianapolis, Fire Damage Cleanup IndianapolisNo matter the time of year the threat of fire is always near. A fire can break out at any time, it may come from a careless spark floating on the breeze. It may come from within your home from an unattended fryer or stove. It’s important to be proactive and protect your family and home from a fire disaster. Remeber to always contact a professional fire damage restoration team like Total Restoration before you enter a home after a fire.

Everyone knows about the most common fire starters but here are a few of the unexpected fire starters.

Laptops

If you have ever used a laptop, then you know that your laptop can get pretty hot in no time. A hot laptop that’s left on a bed, couch, blanket, or another soft surface can prevent proper airflow in and out of the cooling vents. You can prevent a potential house fire by placing your laptop on a desk or laptop stand to keep it from overheating.

Heat Pads & Electric Blankets

Electric blankets and heating pads might not seem like they may be an issue, but these heating tools can be extremely hazardous if misused. Heating pads and electric blankets have the ability to get very hot and anytime you have excessive heat buildup, a fire can start. To prevent these comforting items from starting a fire, keep your heating pad and electric blanket on the lowest setting and do not use for longer than what the manufacturer recommends.

Charcoal Briquettes

After barbecuing, you may just throw the bag of charcoal into a storage closet and shut the door without a second thought. If the charcoal is damp, it could ignite itself and start a serious fire. To prevent such a devastating fire, place the charcoal in a metal pail or garbage can and secure it tightly with a lid. Store the charcoal in a cool, dry place that has enough space to let heat escape should the coals self-ignite.

The Monster in the Closet

Stacking your clothes to the top of the closet might not seem like a big deal, but if your wool sweater or cotton T-shirt touches an exposed light bulb, it could lead to a major fire. Surprisingly, nearly 12% of all house fires start in a closet. As homeowners, we do not consider the closet light fixtures to be a danger and we stack combustible materials close to the glowing, hot bulb. You can prevent a disaster from happening inside your closet by installing the properly enclosed light fixtures and keeping your belongings a good distance from the light bulb.

Dust Bunnies

Dust bunnies aren’t just an annoyance — they’re also a danger to your home. Dust can be a fire hazard if it collects near floor heaters, electronics, and sockets. If sparks fly, dust piles can ignite and cause a fire. Regular dusting and vacuuming with a hose can significantly reduce the amount of dust that lingers near your electrical outlets and appliances. Pay special attention to the back of entertainment centers and any crevices that might collect dust.

It only takes a few minutes to check the closets and other unexpected fire hazards in your home. Make sure that the whole family is aware of these unexpected fire hazards to help reduce the chance of a fire disaster. If a fire does strike be sure you call a professional fire damage repair team to cleanup and repair any damages.

Contact us

If this is an emergency, please call us at (317) 351-0555 for an immediate response, 24/7.